Let’s Make Patterns is designed for teaching and reviewing repeating patterns on the interactive whiteboard.
Each of the ten teaching screens is open ended so you and the children can use it to make patterns of your own. There are sufficient items on each screen (10 of each) to make up to three repeating patterns on each.
Many different types of repeating patterns can be made, for example: AB, AAB, ABB, ABA, ABC, AABC. ABBC, depending on your lesson focus.
- begin a pattern and ask children to continue it
- make a pattern and ask children to identify the repeating unit
- ask children to choose images to make a particular pattern, for example, AB or ABC
- ask children to make a pattern for others to explain
- make a pattern with an incorrect element and ask children to identify it
With 2D and 3D shapes included, it can also be used in geometry lessons.
Note: While this resource can be accessed on mobile devices, functionality is optimised when accessed on a computer and displayed on an interactive whiteboard.
Let’s Make Patterns is available free to subscribers and to those who have purchased it individually.
If you are logged in, scroll down to access the resource.
To save your progress for another session, select ‘Finish for now’. To return to the page you were working on, select ‘Resume’.